While I do not have a degree in Library Science, I believe I am more than qualified:
- I love to read.
- I belong to a book club (solid evidence that I love to read).
- I collect and make bookmarks (wow, that sounds dorky).
- I do not discriminate; I love paper and electronic books equally.
- I’ve written 175 pages of my own book (which I hope to someday see on your shelves, whether you hire me or not).
- I have the beginnings of about 6 more books on paper and about 78 more books in my head.
- I speak fluent Pig Latin (actually, I’m not really sure how that helps me).
- I can recite the alphabet frontward and backward (well, the backward part isn’t completely true, but I’m a quick learner).
- I’m really good at research (having completed 8 of 11 grad schools classes, which, ironically, aren’t in Library Science).
- I wear glasses (well, usually I wear contacts, but for you, I’ll wear my glasses).
- I always like the book better than the movie.
- I’m organized (some might say to a fault).
- I passed this Should You Become a Librarian quiz with flying colors: careerplanning.about.com/library/quiz/career_quizzes/bllibrarian_quiz
As your librarian, I promise to:
- Volunteer to bring the books in the drive-through collection boxes in when it’s raining.
- Never shelf a book incorrectly.
- Not take it personally when a patron doesn’t enjoy the book I suggested to them.
- Act appropriately when a patron damages a book (i.e. I will not file charges, damage something they hold dear, etc.).
- Come up with fun and exciting ways to share the joy of reading with children, teenagers and adults. (On a related note, I applied to be a World Book Night Book Giver this year!)
Thank you for your consideration! I look forward to discussing a start date, er, the position, which doesn’t really exist, except in my head…