The American Library Association's annual event celebrating "the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment" began Saturday. I'm not going to debate whether book banning is right or wrong, I'm just going to share a list of the most challenged books of 2009:
* TTYL; TTFN; L8R, G8R (series) by Lauren Myracle
* And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson
* The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
* To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
* Twilight (series) by Stephenie Meyer
* The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
* My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
* The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things, by Carolyn Mackler
* The Color Purple by Alice Walker
* The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
JK Rowling's Harry Potter books were the most challenged of the last decade.
The reasons these books are on the list are spelled out here.
Discuss here or amongst yourselves.